Music lesson for homeschoolers and all families – Song Study
This year I decided to add song study to our homeschool day. I picked two categories of songs from which to choose, Hymns and Folk Songs and one song from each category to teach each term. For our fall term our hymn is “All Creatures of Our God and King” and our folk song is “Simple Gifts”. All you need is your voice to teach these or any song. Today, I want to teach you how to easily introduce a song to yourself and your student.
- Song Choice: I suggest for your first song you pick a piece that is familiar. If you need ideas look through a hymnal or search YouTube for the genre or theme of song that you would like. I hope to compile a list on here soon!
- Learning Method: You can use traditional sheet music or find a recording or YouTube video of your song and find lyrics via a google search of your song title. Either of these methods works, chose the one that is easiest for you as a teacher.
- Learn & Review: as the instructor listen to the song or study the music so you are familiar with the melody line (the main music your ear hears). No need to memorize the lyrics, you can keep them with you during music time and look at them if you need, remember this isn’t a performance it’s just for fun!
- Choose A Recording: Now you’re almost ready to introduce your students to your songs… one last step is to choose a recording (if you haven’t already) to play for your student as an introduction to the song.
- Student Introduction: Play the recording you have picked for your student. Depending on the age of a student ask questions about the song: a. How does this song make you feel (happy, sad, brave etc.) b. Who/what is the songs message? C. Is this song fast or slow?
- Line Study: After playing the recording and talking about the song. Now is when we start singing. Begin line by line. And play the “repeat after me“ game (but sing with your student when they repeat). If your student is eager to learn more add another line, go slowly and add a line or two every day.
Example of line study:
Teacher: “Twinkle ,Twinkle Little Star How I Wonder What You Are”
Student (with teacher assist): “Twinkle Twinkle little star how I wonder what you are”
Repeat the line several times, sing fast/slow, loud/soft.
Some songs have several verses, for my girl I decided to do only one verse and chorus. Depending on the age of your child you may be able to do more. I’ll be sharing more idea about song study and ways you can easily add music to your homeschool day soon! Let me know if you have questions, comments, or just want to say hello! I’m here to help!